Why should I study in Spain?

The country located at the crossroads of the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, Europe, and Africa...

How to Study in Spain

Spain is located in south-western Europe and is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. It is famous for its warm climate and its beautiful cities and landscapes. The largest city and capital of Spain is Madrid. Other great cities that are worth visiting are Barcelona, Valencia, Seville, Bilbao, and Malaga.

Spain’s Higher Education System

As Spain forms part of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), the country’s study programme is in line with the EHEA’s specifications. This means that the first cycle leads to a graduate degree, equalling 240 ECTS spread out over 4 academic years. Completing the second cycle worth 60 to 120 ECTS within 1 or 2 academic years has you achieve a master’s degree. See below the overall performance of Spanish universities at the institutional level in the 5 U-Multirank dimensions, showing the overall strengths of the country’s Higher Education Institutions. Spanish universities score particularly highly in Teaching and Learning, International Orientation and Regional Engagement.

National performance: Spain

Percent of all Universities 100% 80% 60% 40% < below Average above > 40% 60% 80% 100% Teaching & Learning 26.229508196721312% 55.73770491803279% Research 29.264705882352942% 36.1764705882353% Knowledge Transfer 57.04347826086956% 27.130434782608695% International Orientation 43.41463414634146% 35.853658536585364% Regional Engagement 14.792899408284024% 63.905325443786985%

What are the entry requirements for Spanish Universities?

To take up postgraduate studies in Spain, you must hold an undergraduate degree. Should you have obtained that within the EHEA, this enables you to study. Postgraduate programme applicants with a degree from outside the EHEA, you require the positive decision of the university of choice.

How to get a Scholarship in Spain?

A scholarship database can be found here.

Do I need a Student Visa for Spain?

As an EU/EEA/Swiss citizen, you do not require a visa, no matter the length of stay. For you, it is enough to have a valid national ID or passport in order to enter the country. However, if you wish to take up your studies in Spain and they take longer than 90 days, you will be required to register with the local authorities - in addition to your valid acceptance and registration documents of your Spanish university. Third country nationals need a student visa if you wish to study for more than 3 months. For studies taking 6 months or more, you are also required to obtain a residence permit. Lastly, you also need to show you have sufficient funds as well as a health insurance for the duration of your stay.

How much does it cost to study in Spain?

Spain’s higher education performance in U-Multirank

  1. U-Multirank covers almost 100 per cent of all Spanish universities.
  2. Spanish universities show a strong regional focus regarding joint publications, internships and graduate employment.
  3. At the same time, Spanish universities perform strongly in Student Mobility, a unique indicator to U-Multirank measuring not only incoming, but also outgoing student mobility.
  4. Ties with industry are strong – Spanish universities receive much of their income from continuous professional development; many graduates of Spanish universities found their own companies.
  5. Pompeu Fabra University (13), ESIC Business & Marketing School (11), Mondragon University (11), Universidad Ramon Llull (11), University of Barcelona (10), and University of Deusto (10) have the highest number of top scores.

Where to study in Spain

Consumer Basket

Main course

8.00 €


3.00 € 

One-way ticket

2.00 €

Cinema ticket

7.00 €

Useful vocabulary








Por favor

To compare Spanish universities in Spanish, visit our partner company Fundación CYD:

Stay informed about U-Multirank:

Financial Partners: